|Mission Statement of the|
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
October 15, 1993
The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is a private, independent, not-for-profit corporation dedicated to research and higher education at the frontiers of ocean science.
Its primary mission is to develop and effectively communicate a fundamental understanding of the processes and characteristics governing how the oceans function and how they interact with the Earth as a whole.
To fulfill this mission, WHOI must successfully:
It is the goal of the Institution to be a world leader in advancing and communicating a basic understanding of the oceans and their decisive role in addressing global questions.
- Recruit, retain, and support the highest quality staff and students and provide an organization which nurtures creativity and innovation.
- Stress a flexible, multidisciplinary, and collaborative approach to the research and education activities of its staff within an equitable working environment.
- Promote the development and use of advanced instrumentation and systems (including ships, vehicles and platforms) to make the required observations at sea and in the laboratory.
- Make the results of its research known to the public and policymakers and foster its applications to new technology and products in ways consistent with the wise use of the oceans.
- Secure the essential resources to sustain these activities, a responsibility which the Trustees and Corporation Members must jointly share with management and staff.