|The village of Woods Hole, Massachusetts, is a scenic seaport that hosts a thriving intellectual community, home to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) and other scientific organizations. It is also home to the Steamship Authority, which offers ferry service to the islands of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.|
Popular sites to visit in the village include the following:
Visitors to Woods Hole may also attend many of the science lectures and seminars sponsored by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. In addition, a number of the organizations in the Woods Hole village area sponsor children's programs during the summer.
- Exhibit Center of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Located on School Street. Suggested donation: $2/person aged 10 and over; under 10, free. Small gift shop. Telephone (508) 289-2663 or 289-2252.
- From MAY 19 through SEPTEMBER 13, 1998:
- Open seven days a week.
- Mondays through Saturdays, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Sundays, from 12 noon to 4:30 p.m.
- Information Office of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Located at 93 Water Street. No admission charge. Telephone (508) 289-2252.
- YEAR-ROUND: Office open weekdays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- From the end of June through Labor Day:
- Walking tours of WHOI dock area and village facilities.
- Weekdays at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- Tours are free, but reservations are required.
- Aquarium of the National Marine Fisheries Service
Located on Albatross Street. No admission charge. Telephone (508) 495-2001.
- From mid-June through Labor Day:
- Open Tuesday through Saturdayfrom 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Closed on federal holidays.
- Marine Biological Laboratory
Located at 127 Water Street (Candle House). No admission charge. Telephone (508) 289-7623.
- From June through August:
- Tours at 1 p.m., 2 p.m., and 3 p.m. each weekday afternoon.
- Tours are free, but reservations are recommended.
- Woods Hole Historical Museum
Located on Woods Hole Road. No admission charge. Telephone (508) 548-7270.
- From JUNE through MID-SEPTEMBER:
- Tuesdays through Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Walking tours of historic buildings on Tuesdays at 4 p.m.
- Off-season hours by arrangement.
Directions to Woods Hole are provided on another page. Because public parking is extremely limited in the village of Woods Hole, visitors are encouraged to park in the town of Falmouth and take the trolley to Woods Hole. Information about the trolley is available from the Falmouth Chamber of Commerce (800/526-8532 or 508/548-8500).