WHOI Parking Policy
Responsible Department: The Director's Office
» Parking Stickers
To obtain a WHOI Parking Sticker, please complete this online application.
(This policy supersedes Institution Memorandum #3-82, which is hereby canceled.)
Observance of the below regulations are essential for an orderly and fair parking arrangement. Strict enforcement will be undertaken. Violators will be ticketed and may be reported to the appropriate Department Chair/Manager and Supervisor. Continued or flagrant violations are subject to towing at owner's expense. To discourage parking by non-employees, vehicles without a valid WHOI sticker or permit will be towed from any Institution lot or property.
Institution parking facilities are available for employees and visitors in accordance with the following regulations:
- All vehicles must have a current, valid WHOI parking permit. Employee parking stickers are issued by the Facilities Office and should be affixed according to instructions at the time of issue.
- Employees will be issued one parking sticker. Registrations may be requested by Facilities for the first vehicle. A second sticker will be issued with proof of registration demonstrating ownership of the first and second vehicle by the employee, spouse or partner. The intent of a second sticker is for convenience only when switching vehicles. It is not intended for a second vehicle to be parked in WHOI lots during normal business hours unless on direct WHOI business. Copies of registrations will not be saved by Facilities.
- Temporary permits may be issued by Department Administrators, authorized department staff assistants, the receptionist or guard on duty in the Smith Lobby. These permits are valid up to 30 days. Individuals in need of parking in excess of 30 days should contact the Facilities Office directly for an appropriate alternative. The temporary permit must be completely filled out including owner’s cell phone or contact number. It must be displayed on the dash of the vehicle and is not transferable to another vehicle.
- Short term staff and long term contractors may be provided a calendar year temporary parking sticker. This will be determined by the Facilities office.
- Retirees will not be issued parking stickers. They will need to arrange for Temporary Parking permits when needed. Emeritus scientists are considered current employees under this policy.
- Parking is prohibited in driveways, loading zones, fire lanes, by fire hydrants, on lawns and generally in areas not designated for parking.
- Reserved parking areas shall be observed as follows:
Institution-owned vehicles - designated areas in the Smith parking lot, Clark and Central Plant.
Visitors - Clark circle, designated areas in the Smith parking lot, and Fenno House.
Handicapped - as designated in each parking lot.
Car Pool – Marked spaces are for vehicles with 2 or more occupants.
- Employees may use visitor parking spaces for short term parking less than one hour.
- In the Smith parking lot, cars may be double-parked in the isles provided they are left unlocked with the keys in the ignition. Owners that do so, wave all liability from damage either by a person moving their car or from another vehicle. This practice is limited to 30 minutes or less.
- Vehicles are not allowed on the wooden portion of Dyer’s Dock. No vehicles may block the gates at Dyer’s Dock while a vessel is at the pier.
- Dyer’s Lot: From Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend, the Institution makes the Dyer’s Dock Lot available to the Woods Hole Business Association for use after hours and on weekends. Net proceeds from operation of the lot are given to WHOI to pay for maintenance of the lots. Employees with a valid WHOI parking permit are entitled to park in this lot without paying but must follow rules posted.
- Iselin Dock: Private cars are not permitted on the Iselin Dock area except for short-term loading and unloading not to exceed 45 minutes. Vehicles shall be left unlocked with keys in ignition. A special permit is required for this purpose. Permits are available from the Port Office, Smith Reception Desk, Mechanical Shop Supervisor, and Facilities Office. Vehicles parked on the Iselin Dock are parked at the owner's risk. The Institution will not be liable for damage incurred as a result of parking on the Dock. Any vehicle interfering with Dock activities is subject to immediate towing at owner's expense.
- Long Term Parking: Employees or visitors wishing to leave vehicles on Institution premises while at sea or on travel under Institution auspices, should park only in the Clark parking lot. This lot is of adequate size and under sufficient oversight to be deemed most suitable. During regular working hours, shuttle service is available between Clark and the Waterfront. At other times the guard at Clark or Smith laboratory will arrange transportation between the Waterfront and Clark. Long term vehicle parkers must register with Security by emailing William Sparks.
- WHOI is not responsible for any damage to vehicles caused by weather, damage from another person or vehicle, acts of God, and tree or limb damage.
- On special occasions, short-term parking restrictions may be posted or directed by Facilities. The forbearance and cooperation of employees is requested during these periods.
- Any accidents, problems or mishaps are to be reported to the Facilities Office or Smith Reception Desk.
Revised and Approved: May 16, 2014
Last updated: May 13, 2016