Reporting to the Vice President of Marine Operations & Facilities, manages and leads Projects for Replacement Human Occupied Submersible Vehicle (RHOV). Develops, Implements procedures and processes to successfully control a complex construction project.
- Manages the design, construction, and testing of the RHOV.
- Leads and coordinates project activities involving teams of engineers and other functional resources both within and outside the Institution.
- Develops high level documents and procedures.
- Negotiates awards and oversees subcontracts as required.
- Generates and tracks project schedules and budgets against project and phase review objectives in a no-cost overrun environment.
- Develops quality management and configuration management plans
- Identifies and manages project risks including assessing impact and developing contingency plans.
- Provides regular status reports to the internal and external oversight committees, the WHOI Directorate, and funding agencies.
- Resolves conflict amongst project team members. Provide feedback regarding performance of team members.
- Recommends and leads efforts to develop new processes or improve existing processes to improve quality and/or on-time delivery of project deliverables.
- Performs other related duties as necessary
Desired Education/Experience for Hiring
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in engineering or physical science with ten or more years of applicable experience in project management or major engineering development and construction projects.
- Intimate knowledge of project management tools and procedures.
- Strong people management skills, particularly influencing management and achieving conflict resolution; strong negotiation, leadership, and assertiveness skills.
- General knowledge of operations, including scheduling, procurement, manufacturing, test engineering, and quality systems.
- Working knowledge of earned value accounting among management practices is essential.
- Ability to understand, track, drill-down and question activities and issues in all functional areas and make sound business decisions based upon the dates.
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through skills.
- Must possess proven oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Experience management complex projects; ability to manage plans and schedules for multiple projects in a multi-disciplinary, science-orientated environment
Last updated: February 25, 2013