the networking technologies required to support the MIS tactical
and strategic business plans, implement these technologies
and support integration of business systems into this architecture.
Administer and support the NT/SQL file servers and their components.Provide
personal computer (PC) support services to all Administrative associates
by responding to requests for assistance.Develop custom applications
in conjunction with other MIS team members, to support the needs
of the Finance and Administration
30% NT/SQL administration
· Coordinate all operation and administrative
activities as they relate to the NT/SQL file servers and application
· Set-up and maintain user accounts and login-scripts.
Manage and administer the NT/SQL servers.
· Work with customers and developers to ensure
that production requirements are met.
· Participate in Application System Design
and other activities where specific networking technologies are
impacted or are of concern.
· Ensure the logical and physical security
and integrity of the NT servers and data.
· Ensure that modifications to the system
are well planned, tested and documented before being implemented.
· Develop, maintain and document appropriate
policies and procedures to ensure the viability and security of
the NT server environment, including tape backup and restore,
user access control, production change control, and disaster recovery.
· Monitor the NT/SQL system for security
violations on a regular basis.
40% PC support
Provide PC hardware and Software related assistance:
· Conduct diagnostic and troubleshooting
review of PC and related equipment (CPU, modem, printer, CD-ROM,
keyboard, monitor, floppy drive, etc....)
· Evaluate repair/replacement options and
order new equipment or necessary repairs
· Provide PC operating system/file system
· Analyze PC configuration files (autoexec.bat,
config.sys) to determine source of user difficulty or problem
· Write necessary PC operating system code
to remedy situation
· Provide PC application related assistance
· Review PC application problem or difficulty
· Ensure consistent configuration of PC’s
in Administrative Systems
· Provide explanation of software capability
and advise user on usage thereof
· Recommend PC application training if appropriate
· Install software upgrades (applications
or tools) and conduct technical tests on these upgrades to ensure
they are fully tested and acceptable before migrated to a production
30% SQL development and Web-based development
· Translate functional requirements
into a technical design.
· Ensure unit test data is prepared and maintained.
· Develop accurate and meaningful detail
design documents and ensures their completeness and accuracy by
confirming approach with other MIS staff and the customer.
· Define and ensure design is complete, standards
are met, interfaces are addressed
· Develop accurate and efficient
programs which meet specifications and standards
· Conduct code reviews with other developers
· Prepare unit test plans
· Prepare integration test
· Integrate testing and stress testing
· Identify system deficiencies as errors
· Recommend possible solutions
· Implement approved solutions
· All supporting activities
outlined above should be documented clearly, accurately and consistently.
Keeping up-to-date with related technologies at WHOI,
features and function of PC operating systems and application software.
This is a significant undertaking s the personal computer and networking
technologies are in a constant state of change.
a coordinated, flexible and successful business approach within
a fast-paced changing environment.
multiple requests from internal and external sources, often with
conflicting or non-integrated needs and responsibilities.
maintain teamwork with other departments.
will perform as a team member on all assignments. At times,
the team may only consist of the Customer, and this person, but
at no time will the individual work alone. This is not to
imply that the individual will not have individual accountability
or responsibility. Instead, it is to confirm the understanding
that there is always a customer for the work that we do. The
customer is always an integral part of the team. The individual
may be required to effectively negotiate with developers and external
vendors who need the services of this role. This person must
have the leadership, facilitation, and negotiation skills to perform
Desired Education/Experience for Hiring
B.S. in Computer Science or related technical field
Diagnostic and troubleshooting skills with IBM compatible
Hands-on experience with PC hardware and operating
Hands-on experience with Windows and Microsoft applications
Hands-on experience with relational databases and
Hands-on experience with VB, SQL, Bi-Tech’s CDD
reporting tool, MS-Access, HTML
Hands-on experience with Visual InterDev, Active-S,
ASP, Java Script, VB Script
Functional knowledge of administrative systems is
a primary skill requirement.
Analytical skills, quick learner, self-starter,
excellent communication skills, consideration of others, strong
work ethic, high energy and drive to achieve quality and customer
Last updated: February 25, 2013