Assistant Director of Prospect Research
||Assistant Director for Prospect Research
Reporting to the Director of Advancement Services, the Assistant Director for Prospect Research utilizes reference sources and internal/external contacts to identify and profile potential individual, foundation and corporate prospects and donors of WHOI. Responsible for collecting and analyzing information to identify new major gift potential or to further qualify known major gift donors with the goal to advance a major gift fund-raising program. Assists with development of solicitation strategies. Works closely with Sr. Administrative Assistant I - Records, updates database records with profile information.
- Proactively identifies new prospects who have the capacity and inclination to give to WHOI. Focuses on data mining via a variety of web-based tools, electronic screenings, and effective prospect management.
- Gathers data from in-house, as well as electronic databases, foundation, corporation and other external sources. Analyzes accumulated information regarding prospect giving capabilities and philanthropic tendencies. Organizes, and edits verified and extrapolated data into comprehensive, standardized research profiles.
- Develops and maintains an analytical system to prioritize and rate prospects for the Principal/Major Gifts team so that they may target their efforts on the highest potential prospects.
- Assesses quality of donor and giving ability and forwards analysis to Development fundraisers for the creation of targeted fundraising and cultivation strategies. Assists in writing donor prospect briefings for development team.
- Assists with development of prospects’ cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies.
- Composes biographical profiles on current and potential major prospects, WHOI Trustees and Corporators and event participants.
- Produces and maintains prospect reports as needed for the fundraising staff.
- Works closely with the Sr. Administrative Assistant I – Records, overseeing paper and electronic prospect data management.
- Maintains current files on priority prospects.
- Working with the Sr. Administrative Assistant I – Records, is responsible for reviewing and updating constituent computer records and paper files with information culled from research, periodical review, and office correspondence (letters, emails, memos, trip reports, etc.).
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may, from time to time, deem necessary.
Desired Qualifications for Hire
Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years prospect research experience. Course work or experience in library reference skills, research principles, technical writing and computers desired. Ability to handle confidential material responsibly, to work independently, and to manage multiple projects simultaneously required.
Last updated: February 25, 2013