Administrative Associate I - Foundation Relations
||Administrative Associate I - Foundation Relations
||Administrative Associate I
Serving as staff support for the Office of Foundation Relations and the Vice President for External Relations, without direct supervision, performs complex and responsible administrative and/or secretarial duties to coordinate and support the activities and functions of the Director of Foundation Relations, the Development Office for Foundation Relations, and the Vice President for External Relations; requires a broad knowledge of Institution and department/unit policies and procedures.
Foundation Relations Support:
- Assures the smooth running of the Office of Foundation Relations by serving as a source of information, and by acting as liaison with Institution programs and scientific staff and/or external organizations on the department's activities and projects. Has strong sense of logistics and gives attention to organizational details. Demonstrates ability to work as a team player. Must be articulate and have a proven ability to exercise discretion, good judgment, and take initiative. Must interact well with members, donors, and Development Staff.
- Responsible for maintenance of foundation records/prospects using the Raiser's Edge database and FileMaker Pro, updating prospect records from trip reports, correspondence, foundation publications and web pages. Maintains tickler/action list for foundation activities and proposal and reporting deadlines. Generates queries and reports as needed.
- Assists in preparing and typesetting proposals, reports, letters, briefing materials, and other documents requiring familiarity with the Foundation Relations Office activities. Prepares periodic grant/contract/administrative reports and interfaces with Institution offices and external agencies on behalf of those activities. Coordinates the input of various WHOI departments and is adept at using multiple software applications and file formats.
- Assists in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of foundations by researching and gathering information using a variety of references and resources.
- Maintains Foundation Relations calendar. Answers phones, screens calls and refers to appropriate person or office. Organizes travel arrangements, appointments and assists with arrangements for site visits/meetings. May arrange for and coordinate use of facilities and advise on availability of services within and outside the Institution for large gatherings, meetings, conferences, and may prepare agenda materials and record minutes of same.
- Responsible for organizing and maintaining publications database for foundation mailings. Assists with mailings.
- Interfaces with WHOI Web content managers to identify appropriate materials for Foundation distribution.
- Responsible for the design, input and maintenance of the Staff Outreach Activity database. Administrative Professionals in Development will be responsible for relaying this information for input into the database. Through attendance at User Group and Development Office r meetings and review of trip reports and the events calendar, is responsible for ensuring the completeness of this data set.
- Handles and maintains confidential donor materials and always practices discretion.
- Oversees maintenance of office files, including budgetary records, grant/contract documentation, travel and purchasing records, property lists, cost accounting information, publications and reports.
Vice President for External Relations Support:
- Drafts and edits basic letters, reports, and memos. Transcribes and produces other materials as necessary.
- Derives prospect information for database updates from trip reports, memos, letters, correspondence, and telephone conversations. Updates individual prospect records in Raiser's Edge database. Adds events to constituent records for action items. Maintains and distributes tickler items weekly.
- Sustains correspondence flow for the Vice President for External Relations. This includes drafting, typing, dictation, copying, filing and distribution.
- Schedules travel, appointments, meetings and conferences and may record minutes, prepare agenda materials, and maintain calendars. Produces travel authorizations and reimbursements for budget purposes. Maintains activity tickler.
- Shares Development Office phone responsibility with other support staff and is available to assist visitors to Fenno House.
- Responsible for production and distribution of solicitations/tracking reports and other reports as required by the Vice President for External Relations.
- Uses Development Office software including Raiser's Edge, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, FileMaker Pro and PowerPoint.
- Performs other duties as the supervisor may, from time to time, deem necessary.
- Takes an active role in leading group problem solving activities. Encourages the group to think of innovative solutions.
- Leads group in setting goals and monitoring progress.
- Knowledge of how to work with upper levels of management to gain support.
- Assists in making formal presentations both verbal and written to inform and educate.
- Translates technical or procedural information into specifications or action plans.
- Demonstrates a high degree of confidentiality and discretion; works to resolve conflicts between groups.
- Transfer a technical or administrative knowledge to others through formal or informal training.
Influencing and Leading:
- Typically mentors junior staff in and/or outside of work group.
- Assists with establishing work standards for group.
- Helps others think through their choices. Actively support diversity initiatives and awareness.
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving:
- Effectively employs triage and trouble shooting techniques to resolve complex situations.
- Participates in the development and implementation of new approaches to the work of the group.
Knowledge, Skills and Expertise:
- Is current and proficient in new trends, concepts, technologies, and best practices within one's professional discipline and apply that knowledge to current work.
- Has project management skills.
Responsibility and Accountability:
- Actions and decisions may have impact on other groups.
- Without direct supervision, makes decisions regarding work group and may supervise junior staff.
- Seeks out and identifies problems or opportunities and takes immediate action to address them.
Last updated: February 25, 2013