Director of Foundation Relations
Director of Foundation and Corporate Relations
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, and working closely with the scientific and administrative leadership and staff, manages all aspects of corporate and foundation philanthropic relationships, primarily at the $50,000 - $250,000 level, including identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding foundation and corporate prospects of the Institution; participates in the implementation of solicitation strategies; and compliance with foundation guidelines, including required reporting procedures and financial monitoring.
- Responsible for identification and research of prospective (non-governmental) local and national corporations and foundations for institution-wide support at the $50,000 - $250,000 level.
- Works to expand and broaden corporate and foundation prospect pipeline and actively manages pipeline of 100 prospects.
- Participates in the cultivation of foundation and corporate program officers and implementation of solicitation strategies. Provides detailed information on prospective foundations to support solicitation activities of President and Director, Executive Vice President and Director of Research,Vice President for Academic Programs and scientific staff.
- Works with scientific staff to develop and write proposals requesting support for priority projects and initiatives.
- Conducts frequent meetings with scientists across institution to identify funding needs and learn about the science.
- With Director of Research, coordinates institution-wide foundation approaches to ensure a consistent approach and avoid conflicting solicitations.
- Prepares personal annual revenue goals, as well as personal goals for internal and external meetings, and number of proposals to be sent.
- Maintains and monitors schedule of foundation proposal deadlines.
- Responsible for ensuring all foundation donors receive appropriate follow-up reports and stewardship. Monitors timely reporting on foundation grants by Institution personnel to assure compliance with foundation guidelines.
Desired Education/Experience for Hiring
Bachelor’s degree required and 5-7 years of experience in corporate and foundation development, related systems, scientific research, general development or related field highly desirable. Well developed organizational skills, ability to communicate effectively and accurately in writing, on the phone and in person. Familiarity with computer tracking systems required along with a demonstrated ability to work under pressure of multiple deadlines. Understanding of the process for research funding strongly desired. Ability to be a team player essential.
Last updated: June 19, 2013