Director of Planned Giving and the Annual Fund
||Director of Planned Giving and the Annual Fund
Reporting to the Senior Director of Individual Giving, responsible for establishing, managing and promoting the Institution’s planned giving program. Will cultivate, solicit and steward planned giving prospects through 1:1 visits, cultivation events, and an expanding planned giving marketing program.
- Establishes initiatives and manages the development and growth of the planned giving program. This includes design and preparation of brochures and newsletters, 1:1 donor visits, and functions and engagement of the Fye Society members.
- Works with the CDO and Sr. Dir of Individual Giving in responding to strategic institutional priorities by planning, setting, and monitoring annual goals in support of those priorities.
- Markets planned giving and estate planning vehicles to the WHOI constituency and beyond, with a goal of increasing the pool of planned giving prospects and increasing membership in the bequest society (the Fye Society).
- Makes cultivation, solicitation and stewardship visits to planned giving prospects throughout the country. Increases the pool of planned giving prospects through institutional strategies.
- Administers institutional life income gifts.
- Functions as primary contact with WHOI’s accounting office regarding management of planned gifts.
- Sponsors annual events for Fye Society members.
- Manages over 150 major planned giving donors and prospects.
- Works closely with Major and Principal Gifts to identify donors and prospects for which a planned gift would be optimal.
- Educates Annual Giving, and Major and Principal Gifts team on planned giving vehicles and how to communicate about them with donors.
- Works with Board to expand board planned gifts and board membership in Fye Society.
- Specifically develops high-level gift planning solicitation strategies for those members of the Board for which a planned gift would be optimal.
Desired Education/Experience for Hiring
Bachelor’s degree required. At least 7 years of demonstrably successful experience in fund raising, with the majority of that time focused on planned giving. Demonstrated expertise in understanding and communicating knowledge regarding planned giving vehicles. Demonstrated ability to cultivate, solicit and close major gifts from planned giving prospects. Experience in developing strategic marketing tools to drive robust planned giving program. Experience with capital campaigns. Ability to coordinate and manage many projects simultaneously. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Willingness to travel and work evenings/weekends as needed. Understanding of and appreciation for the Institution’s mission.
Last updated: February 25, 2013