Media Relations Coordinator
||Media Relations Coordinator
Reporting to the Manager of Public Information and Internal Communicators, Media Relations Coordinator is the key point of contact for day-to-day media-related activities: produces news releases and tips, develops and maintains ongoing relationship with reporters at news outlets and coordinates the administrative management of the Media Relations Office.
Serves as a back-up to Media Relations Assistant
- First point of contact for the media
- Identifies request and sources appropriate WHOI scientist or other personnel to respond to medias’ request
- Arranges phone or in-person interviews
- Writes and distributes news releases, news tips, and assembles related materials (still images, video, and web links)
- Writes and edits copy for display, brochures, posters, videos, etc.
- During the manager’s absence, edits weekly calendar and Headlines.
- Responds to all media inquiries (newspaper, magazine, and TV, Radio, and Film companies.
- Speaks, interviews production or documentary groups to pitch storylines and works with graphics and other colleagues within media group to obtain and research images, videos, etc.,
- Coordinates, follows and responds to inquiries regarding WHOI through social media channels, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Develops and maintains Media Relations Twitter page; tweets new releases, video and available WHOI imagery, media coverage of WHOI research, image of the day, audio slideshows, etc.
- Uses social media to foster relationships with science journalist, freelancers, industry peers and related organizations.
- Assists with identifying potential newsworthy stories; pitch story ideas and upcoming/research/expeditions to the media
- Researches images for “Images of the Day” and writes captions
- Develops and maintains daily “WHOI in the News” feature on the home page for monitoring media coverage
- Sends daily emails to WHOI subscribers
- Checks and responds to email@example.com; forwards image licensing requests to Media Relations assistant for appropriate action
- Answers media telephone line
- Facilities all aspects of on-site outreach workshops including one day regional workshops and the Annual Ocean Science Journalism Fellowship Program
- Arranging week-long programs of tours, lectures, etc.,
- Review, evaluate and select candidates for participation
- Facilitate attendees’ accommodations and schedules
- Acts as a Publicist, representing WHOI at press conferences by working with media groups and WHOI scientist on location, e.g. Annual Ocean Science Conference
- Serves as WHOI representative for the Science Communication and Marine Public Information (SCAMPI) group
- Manages and update the Media Relations Office Web page, including posting releases, tip sheets, visuals and related materials.
- Disseminates press material, visual images and related materials to media
- Collaborates with manager and the media group in handling media contacts during time of Institution crises or major breaking news.
- Serves as a back-up to Writer/Publicist
Job Specifications (Knowledge, skills and abilities normally required for competent performance in the job):
College degree preferred. Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Dreamweaver, PowerPoint, Word and Excel preferred. Previous experience in public relations or journalism is helpful.
Last updated: February 25, 2013