||Exhibit Center Manager
Reporting to the Manager of Public Information & Internal Communications, oversees and implements the activities and functions of the Exhibit Center and Gift Shop.
- Manages the
daily operation of the Exhibit Center staff, including training,
managing and scheduling. Recruits and hires new staff as needed. Serves
as primary interface with the Exhibit Center volunteers, providing them
with timely information on Institution events and research.
- Manages development and maintenance of exhibits, working with
Scientists, Graphics Services, Carpenters Shop and outside exhibit
builders and vendors to execute exhibit plan. Responsible for upkeep
and troubleshooting of exhibits, equipment, and facility.
- Manages the Institution's retail merchandising program in the Gift Shop and the WHOI Online store (www.whoi.edu/whoistore).
Maintains inventory control and pricing, operates point-of-sale
computer system, interfaces with vendors to select and order
merchandise, processes invoices. Manages and maintains the Online
store, providing customer support, trouble shooting site technical
issues, uploading new merchandise info and images, shipping merchandise
- Prepares daily sales reports and monthly reports of attendance, sales
and profits, donations, etc. Works with Controller's Office to assure
accurate assignment of income and execution of other financial
procedures that relate to the merchandise function.
- Coordinates group visits to the Exhibit Center and merchandise sales at
Trustee, Corporation, and Associates meetings and social events.
- Works closely with manager to develop annual budgets for exhibits, Exhibit Center and merchandising program.
- Performs other duties as the supervisor may, from time to time, deem necessary.
Job Specifications (Knowledge, skills and abilities normally required for competent performance in the job)
B.A. or B.S. in a
related field or H.S. plus 8-10 years related experience. Experience
with Web development and HTML, Photoshop, P.C. and Mac, and Microsoft
Office products. Retail management and project management experience
required. Strong written and verbal communications skills, previous
experience managing a public facility a plus. Flare for, or training in
design. Ability to work well with a wide variety of people and
willingness to work unusual hours as needed.
Last updated: June 6, 2013