Employee Morale and Recognition Events
- Issue Date: July 1, 1997
- Primary Contact: Director of Human Resources
- Responsible Member of Directorate: President and Director
- Responsible Office: Human Resources
OverviewI. The Institution recognizes the significant contributions of its employees and students in making the Institution a world leader in ocean science. It supports activities that acknowledge those contributions and that foster positive morale and Institution spirit. These activities can take the form of a variety of events, both formal and informal. For example:
1. Annual Employee Service Recognition. An Institution- wide event to acknowledge employee service, including retirees. Special recognition is given to active employees in regular status, at half time or more, who have completed more than 10 years of accured service. Service is recognized in 10 year increments.
2. Special Performance Awards. Individual and group awards are given annually to acknowledge special employee performance over and above one's normal duties and responsibilities. The recipients are nominated by their peers. The awards, usually a plaque and a modest check, are presented at the annual Employee Service Recognition event.
3. Summer Picnic and Holiday Party. Institution-wide events, open to employees, students and their families, in celebration of seasonal activities.
4. Socials. Periodic events targeted to recognize particular special employee groups, e.g., a dinner party for recent retirees and their spouses, receptions for foreign visitors, their families and their WHOI sponsors/hosts, etc.
5. Ship Homecomings and Farewells. Festivities at the Institution Dock open to all Institution staff, students and families on the occasion of a WHOI research vessel leaving on or returning from an extended voyage.
6. TGIF's. Periodic evening gatherings at various campus locations for employees to socialize.
7. Special Events. From time to time, opportunities occur, warranting special acknowledgement.