Maintaining Legal Status while in the U.S.
To maintain legal status in the United States:
As a foreign national, you have the responsibility to maintain lawful status while in the United States. Become knowledgeable and stay informed about information that impacts your status.
- Maintain required documentation. Ensure that enabling documents (Form DS-2019, I-20, I-797, etc.) and I-94 are always accurate and unexpired.
- Engage only in activities permitted under your program and category.
- Apply for extensions of stay prior to the expiration date on your current visa documents.
- Do not engage in unauthorized employment.
- Do not travel outside of the U.S. without the proper re-entry documents.
- Exchange visitors (J-1 and J-2 visa holders) are required to obtain sickness and accident insurance and maintain this insurance throughout the entire period of program participation.
Last updated: March 24, 2014