Human Resources

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program: Obtaining Permission for Incidental Employment (Occasional Paid Lecturing or Consulting) Outside of WHOI

   Print  PDF  Change text to small (default) Change text to medium Change text to large


J-1 federal regulations for exchange visitors in the Professors, Research Scholar, and Short-Term Scholar categories (as indicated in section 4 on Form DS-2019) allow for participation in occasional lectures and short-term consultations at locations not listed on WHOI's Form DS-2019, if such activities are approved by the program sponsor (WHOI), and if such activities meet the following criteria:

•  are directly related to the objectives of your exchange visitor program

•  are incidental to your primary program activities; and

•  do not delay the completion date of the your exchange visitor program

* Exchange visitors engaging in such activities must act as independent contractors.


In advance of the date of your engagement:

•  Obtain a letter from the offeror which:

•  Requests from WHOI permission to undertake the lecturing or consulting

•  Sets forth the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult, including duration (not to exceed end date of your current DS-2019), number of hours, field or subject, amount of compensation, and description of activity.

•  Obtain a letter from your WHOI sponsor recommending such activity explaining how it would enhance your exchange visitor's program.

•  Submit both letters with your request for work permission to the Responsible Officer/Foreign National Advisor.

•  The Responsible Officer will review the request and if approved issue a letter confirming that the activity meets the requirements.

*Independent Contractor for the purpose of this procedure and in accordance with 8 C.F.R. S 274a.1 (j) “includes individuals or entities who carry on independent business, contract to do a piece of work according to their own means and methods, and are subject to control only as to results”.

Last updated: October 3, 2018