Marine Policy Center Director
Reporting to the Director of Research, is responsible for the overall health and quality of the individual Marine Policy Center research, educational programs and personnel. Ensures that the programs and goals in these areas are consistent with the Institution's policies and procedures and overall mission. Supervises the Center Administrator. Communicates and coordinates routinely with Department Chairs, Center Directors and the Directorate.
- Works formally and informally with the Directorate, Department Chairs, and Center Directors to formulate Institution objectives and goals, and participates in the formulation of Institution policies; serves as principal conduit of information on such matters between Marine Policy Center personnel and Institution administration.
- Organizes the Marine Policy Center to facilitate defining and implementing goals and plans for its scientific and technical development, including determining scientific directions, staffing requirements, facility needs and acquisition of major instruments and equipment.
- Communicates administrative policy, ideas and decisions to Center personnel, and communicates Center needs, plans and concerns to the Director of Research. Ensures that both groups have an accurate understanding of the issues, concerns, and constraints of the group.
- Ensures excellence of Marine Policy Center staff through recruitment, performance evaluation, leadership, mentoring, and management. Recommends appointments, promotions and salaries for Center personnel.
- Is supervisor of record for all Scientific Staff for term of the Marine Policy Center Director appointment.
- Will be involved with personnel and disciplinary actions of staff as needed, including conducting annual performance reviews.
- Assists Marine Policy Center staff in identifying and developing research areas, and provides scientific and administrative oversight of the Center grant and contract proposal process.
- Serves as a non-voting member on the Institution's Staff Council (SC). Determines suitability, and oversees development and presentation of Marine Policy Center cases to SC.
- Responsible for the Marine Policy Center capital, overhead, and discretionary accounts; allocates assigned Institution resources.
- Supervises the Center Administrator.
- Fosters good communication and morale within the Marine Policy Center and Institution.
- Ensures that every junior staff member has good mentoring and receives the required written evaluations at the end of the first and second year of appointment as Assistant Scientist and at the end of the second year of appointment as Associate Scientist.
- Serves as principal Center spokesperson to federal and private groups and individuals.
- In cooperation with the Academic Programs Office, oversees participation in the Education Program which includes Center participation in the Summer Student/Minority Fellow Program, the Marine Policy Fellowship program and Education Council/Education Assembly. In cooperation with the MIT Dean of Graduate Studies and the Academic Programs Office, assures high quality teaching and mentoring in the Joint Program.
- Maintains an active scientific or policy research program consistent with the criteria and expectations for Senior Scientists.
Job Specifications (Knowledge, skills and abilities normally required for competent performance in the job)
PhD in a related field with significant experience, accomplishment and impact in research to attain the rank of Senior Scientist. Proven skills and knowledge in communicating the major research thrusts of the Center Director’s discipline and an overall understanding of the Center's research efforts. Should be familiar with grants and contracts research and the various agencies supporting such research. Substantial experience in personnel management is highly desired.
Terms of Appointment
The term of appointment for the Marine Policy Director is indefinite.
The Marine Policy Center Director receives an increment to his/her salary during the time s/he serves. When s/he steps down from the position, this increment will be deducted from the annual salary.
Compensation for Marine Policy Center Director
Up to five (5) months or 760 hours of salary support is provided annually from overhead during the term of appointment. In addition a Marine Policy Center Director earns one (1) month (152 hours) of step down support for each year of appointment, up to a maximum of 12 months earned. For additional information on calculation and limitation of stepdown funds, please refer to policy: Department Chair, Center, and Institute Director Policy and Procedures (pdf).
Last updated: January 4, 2008
Last updated: January 28, 2008