Data Management Plan Checklist
TALK TO YOUR PROGRAM MANAGER
The program that you are submitting to may have established protocols for an appropriate data management plan. Address solicitation requirements and any special requirements from the program.
Your data management plan should identify the types of data products that will be created, the standards used, including metadata, and organization of the data-related materials. You should state the access, sharing and re-use policies and address backups, archives and preservation.
*NEW* WHOI login to DMP Tool
As of October 2014: WHOI PIs now have access to the DMP Tool Online, a web-based tool to help you build your data management plan that includes step-by-step guidance and information specific to many United States granting agencies and their directorates.
How do I log in to DMP Tool?
Click on here to be directed to the Login page.
- On the Login page, select Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Click Next
- WHOI researchers will be presented with the institution's authentication page, Log in as you usually do for WHOI's web services.
DMP Tool quickstart guide: https://dmptool.org/quickstartguide/
DMP Tool vimeo video: http://vimeo.com/82408192
Data Management Tools and Cookbooks
- DataONE Data Management Plan (DMP) Tool: http://www.dataone.org/data-management-planning
- IMBER Data Management Cookbook: http://www.imber.info/index.php/Science/Working-Groups/Data-Management/Cookbook
- NOAA Data Management Plan template: https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=Data_Management_Planning_PD
Online training for data management
The Federation for Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) offers a Data Management Short Course for scientists: http://commons.esipfed.org/datamanagementshortcourse
The New England Collaborative Data Management Curriculum (NECDMC) is an instructional tool for teaching data management best practices to undergraduates, graduate students, and researchers in the health sciences, sciences, and engineering disciplines: http://library.umassmed.edu/necdmc/modules
There are also training modules available on the DataOne website: http://www.dataone.org/education-modules
Last updated: October 16, 2014