The Institution has determined that support should be provided for Scientist and Oceanographer Emeriti who wish to continue using WHOI facilities and mentor younger scientists, engineers and technicians, by sharing their scientific and technical knowledge.
- The actual amount of support to be awarded each year will be determined by the Director of Research during the budgeting process. Recipients of these funds will be expected to adhere to the amount awarded.
- The funds will come from the lab overhead pool, and any balance at the end of the year will be forfeited.
- This money can be used for WHOI VOIP phone costs, support for an administrative professional, or miscellaneous supplies and services of a general nature related to mentoring activities, but not for any project-specific costs or for cell phone plans.
- Funds may be used for travel of a general nature (such as to attend a scientific conference). On return from the trip, the Scientist or Oceanographer Emeritus is required to send (or email) a report about the trip to the Manager of Government Regulations, Challenger House, MS #14 and copy the report to his/her Department Admin and to the Research Administratior DOR.
- Institution support may include space for continued research, either the laboratory or office occupied prior to retirement or other space available in the department.
- Requests for support must be renewed every three years.
- Emeriti who are Emeritus Research Scholars in January of any given year are not eligible to receive support for that year.
The process for initiating these funds requires a memo from the Department Chair to the Deupty Director and Vice President forResearch. The memo should include mention of space needs and a request for the funds justified on the basis of the person’s mentoring role and interactions with colleagues at WHOI. A very brief statement from the Scientist or Oceanographer Emeritus should be attached describing his or her research plans. In the case of a newly appointed Emeritus (within first 3 years), a copy of the research plans from the appointment folder will be sufficient.
After three years, the Chair should review the continued involvement of the Scientist or Oceanographer Emeritus in the community to determine whether continued support is warranted. Space allocation should also be reviewed at this time. A brief, updated supporting memo and new research statement should be sent to the Deupty Director and Vice President for Research in order to renew support for an additional 3 years.
Last updated: October 11, 2016