The WHOI Communications Department enhances awareness and understanding of the Institution, the breadth of its ocean research, engineering, and education, and their value to society.
Our activities include:
- building and maintaining a public Web site
- producing a magazine, Oceanus, that has a Web expression with weekly updates
- producing publications that explain who we are and what we do
- interacting with the public through our Information Office and our Ocean Science Exhibit Center
- promoting our research and expeditions to print and broadcast media
- providing licensed images and video footage to museums, documentary filmmakers, publishers, and other outlets to promote our research activities to the public while protecting our intellectual property
We also have a focus on internal communications and providing information, tools, and services to help WHOI staff communicate to all audiences.
The tools and services include;
- weekly communications to all employees and students about activities and events around the institution and a calendar of each week’s seminars
- a content management system that allows for easy updates to the Institution’s extensive Web site
- publicly digestible written descriptions of expeditions and other science, engineering, and education activities
- illustrations, animations, photographs, and video created and collected to illustrate the written word on a variety of topics
- a Web-based searchable image catalog featuring those images, animations and video clips
- a highly skilled group of designers, illustrators, photographers, animators and videographers in Graphic Services whose services are available to the community for an hourly fee